I still don’t *really* understand what this site is or who uses it, but they gave me a (pro-bono) chance to shout out my favorite places for food, music, booze, caffeine, etc. in Los Angeles. Plus, they promised to call me an expert. To see my picks, go to Utrip, click “See Itinerary,” and then enter an arbitrary date (you’re not going to do this, I know, it’s okay). From there (ha), click on the little “Overview” tab above the map. FINALLY, you can scroll down Continue reading
Quick bloggy bits from around the L.A. underground (and up). Share ’em.
- FEATURED: L.A. Rapper Mestizo Name-Checks Elliott Smith*
- Heart Music’s Free EP w. Baths, Teen Daze, Light Pollution, more
- Vice Cooler’s Rwanda Benefit LP, ft. No Age, Dan Deacon, Gossip
- Finally! Listen to Synth-Punks Tearist’s Brand New Track “Headless”
(all stories via West Coast Sound, via L.A. Weekly)
* “Elliott Smith’s death gets a mention — a display of Mestizo’s ability to intertwine classic rap braggadocio with harrowing reality and emotive introspection.”
Hello. Here’s some news.
Earlier this week, Kill Rock Stars announced that it’d acquired the rights to Elliott Smith’s first and last records — 1994’s Roman Candle, originally on Cavity Search, and 2004’s posthumous ANTI- release, From A Basement On A Hill — and that reissues are scheduled for April 6, 2010… [The label also] releas[ed] a free MP3 of a heretofore unheard Smith track… “Cecilia/Amanda”… But despite the usual tendency of the blogosphere to swallow whole all things downloadable and gratis, at least one writer has taken issue with the track.
Read on here, on West Coast Sound (via LA Weekly).
Quick bloggy bits* from around the L.A. underground (and up):
- Pablove to Throw Benefit Show in Honor of Founder’s Cross-Country Ride: Tom Morello, BRMC, Others Confirmed
- Jump Clubb Covers Elliott Smith’s “Angeles” (MP3)
- Brainfeeder Hosts Audio/Visual Experimentation with Daedelus, Gaslamp, Jeremy Ellis, more
- 60 Seconds of Video Terror from 60 Watt Kid (mp3)
(all stories via West Coast Sound, via LA Weekly)
*If you like it, then you better put a tweet on it.
INCHES002 is up! The second installation continues on the same L.A.-centric path as the first, exploring five additional releases from five different local artists on five different nearby independent labels (with free MP3s). The releases are chosen with an eye toward both content and outward packaging.
This week’s gold medal-winner:
Featured in INCHES002: Mayer Hawthorne (Stones Throw), Vibes (Not Not Fun), Frankel (Autumn Tone), The Polyamorous Affair (Manimal Vinyl), and Bipolar Bear (olFactory). Again, future installments will include reviews, interviews, guest bloggers, outings, and more.
Got an idea you’d like to share? Email here.
All Smiles’ Oh For The Getting And The Not Letting Go (via The A.V. Club)