Back to blow more public radio eardrums with glorious noise (HEALTH’s Death Magic) and, well, really chill indie rock (Mac DeMarco’s Another One). Listen at NPR affiliate KPCC, or below.
Late, late, late. The internet has already forgotten that Coachella 2011 ever happened, but for posterity’s sake, here’s what I wrote about it for Spin.
DAY THREE: Wiz Khalifa, Death From Above 1979, Duck Sauce (A-Trak & Armand Van Helden), HEALTH, Lightning Bolt, Ratatat.
Quick bloggy bits from around the L.A. underground (and up). Share ’em.
- FEATURED: City Declares May 30 ‘Ronnie James Dio Day’*
- Madlib Goes Psych-Rock on New ‘Brain Wreck’ LP
- Salem Signs to IAMSOUND, Reveals ‘King Night’ Details
- MP3 Exclusive: Tobacco Remixes HEALTH’s ‘Die Slow’
(all stories via West Coast Sound, via LA Weekly)
* “Naturally, the prepared statement delivered at Dio’s memorial was greeted with rabid cheers and a strong showing of devil horns.”
Four more for good measure: L.A. bests from the Weekly’s blog, half-disguised as news stories, all worthy of your attention. If you like it, then you better put a tweet on it.
- Best New Musical Medium: Coffee (Stones Throw and Intelligentsia Collaboration Is Officially On)
- Best Unsung L.A. Producer: Shafiq Husayn (and Plug Research Has Got the Podcast to Prove It)
- Best Contest Launched By An L.A. Band: HEALTH’s CD Sweepstakes (the Golden Ticket is Discovered!)
- Best New Micro Label: Leaving Records (Download Free Oscar McClure Sampler, Lots More)
*This is taking place of the “news roundup” for the week.
Another INCHES hit! #006 went up this morning (a day late — apologies), featuring a super-limited clear platter from HEALTH (Lovepump United), a vinyl-only release from the hardcore punk-rawk supergroup White Shit (PPM), and four inches of glory from Mayer Hawthorne. Not to mention, MP3s from all three, a video, and a fresh chart from Origami Vinyl.
Stay tuned for much, much more, and if you’ve got ideas, reach out.