I’m a coffee geek and a cheerleader for Los Angeles, so I nearly spit out my brew when I realized I’ve been favoring beans roasted by out-of-towners—Verve, Blue Bottle, Heart, Stumptown, Four Barrel. So began my quest to find out the truth about L.A.’s caffeine scene. Is there a homegrown roaster who can finally put my town on the map? Yes. No. Well, sort of. Let me explain…
Quick bloggy bits from around the L.A. underground (and up). Share ’em.
- FEATURED: Adult Swim Debuts New Madvillain Track!*
- DJ Kutmah Drops Mixtape Honoring Dâm-Funk Supergroup
- Shake Yer Dredlocks: Nada Surf Debut “Electrocution” Video
- Download: Free Digi-Split from Benji Hughes and Willoughby
(all stories via West Coast Sound, via LA Weekly)
* “Listeners may now rejoice. Adult Swim has shared a song-length glimpse into the forthcoming Madvillain record, and the view is sweet indeed.”
Four more for good measure: L.A. bests from the Weekly’s blog, half-disguised as news stories, all worthy of your attention. If you like it, then you better put a tweet on it.
- Best New Musical Medium: Coffee (Stones Throw and Intelligentsia Collaboration Is Officially On)
- Best Unsung L.A. Producer: Shafiq Husayn (and Plug Research Has Got the Podcast to Prove It)
- Best Contest Launched By An L.A. Band: HEALTH’s CD Sweepstakes (the Golden Ticket is Discovered!)
- Best New Micro Label: Leaving Records (Download Free Oscar McClure Sampler, Lots More)
*This is taking place of the “news roundup” for the week.