This is later than late, but better than never. The Spin Magazine fellers definitely know a good thing when it bludgeons them over the head with experimental beatwork, then nurses them back to health with a warm, enveloping beauty. That, combined with my incessant badgering, resulted in a gallery highlighting some of the Los Angeles electronic talent that made it out to Coachella 2011.
Quick blog bits from around the L.A. underground (and up). Share ’em.
- FEATURED: New Kutmah Podcast Ft. Fugees, Flying Lotus*
- Check Out ASKA’s Stunning ‘Love Trance,’ on Manimal Vinyl
- Proximal Drops L.A. Megamix Ft. Dâm-Funk, Daedelus, Baths
- Scarlett Johansson Covers ‘Bullet’ By Folk-Rockers Steel Train
(all stories via West Coast Sound, via L.A. Weekly)
* After being expelled from the U.S., DJ Kutmah delivers a fifty-minute mix featuring a ton of unreleased gems — including a Flying Lotus track and a Fugees remix by Jonwayne.
If you live in/around the L.A. area, seriously consider attending these:
- Region: Griffith Park
Music: Seu Jorge and Bebel Gilberto w/ the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra
Vitals: Hollywood Bowl on Friday, September 11
(details at LA Weekly).
- Region: Hollywood
Music: Destroy L.A.: Flying Lotus, Daedelus, The Gaslamp Killer, Jogger, Post-Feotus, TOKiMONSTA (beat music blowout!)
Vitals: Henry Fonda on Saturday, September 12
(details at LA Weekly)