The other great indie rap LP of 2011. This highly Digable reinvention will be battling Serengeti’s new one within my top 5 for the year. A.V. Club.
Had the distinct pleasure of speaking to this electronically inclined Southern gentleman on the eve of the release of his fantastically chill and wavy Sub Pop debut, Within & Without. Didja know he was raised on a peach orchard? SPIN.
I likes the No Age lots. I’m a sucker for that old time noise-pop, and apparently you are too. Last week the Hollywood Bowl was stuffed by go-time, when hometown heroes Dean Spunt (he of the Fred Perry stare) and Randy Randall (Mr. Pec Pockets up there) opened for none other than Sonic Youth and Pavement. Trashcan royalty, united. Anyhow, I used that madeup phrase (“trashcan royalty”) in a (p)review of the new No Age record, Everything in Between, a little while back. Pretentious of me, right? But there’s new stuff to read (also L.A. Weekly), and it’s not so fancy.
1) Randall and I went on a little mission into the Valley. He needed an amp (which he scouted out on Craigslist) and I needed a story. Call it a barter. Unfortunately, you can’t play with the amp, but you can read the story.
2) Like to listen while you work? Stream the entire new No Age album.
No Age, Everything In Between (Sub Pop)
No Age returns, king of the L.A. noise scene, with a new album powered by an unshakable pulse. We got an early shot to divine meaning from the 13-song platter — and what we discovered didn’t disappoint.
(via L.A. Weekly)
New feature in LA Weekly today, and I do believe it’s the longest yet on Sub Pop’s recent signing, Dum Dum Girls. Some interesting revelations in here. Though the project’s main brain Dee Dee has been previously linked to her old San Diego band, Grand Ole Party, she hasn’t spoken about it until now. Also, it seems this hot, new L.A. band on the rise isn’t from L.A. after all. Gasp!
But none of this should overshadow the fact that Dee Dee made a solid record. I talk to her and legendary Brill Building songwriter Richie Gottehrer about the process, her vision and other exciting things here.
I’ve been neglectful. Terribly so. Below you’ll find some recent bloggins from the L.A. underground. Click on the links to get the full story, each of which hails from LA Weekly‘s growingly excellent West Coast Sound blog.
- No Age Debuts Songs On Daytrotter, Dean Reminisces
- Video Premiere: Sister Crayon’s “(in) Reverse”
- Dublab’s Ambient All-Nighter ‘Tonalism’ Headed To Portland
- MP3 Exclusive: Free The Robots, “Jupiter,” Forthcoming on Alpha Pup
- Mishka Opening To Feature A. Milonakis, Wavves, Best Coast [NSFW]
- Host An Indie-Folk Hoedown in Your Kitchen!